Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Baithak with Sitara Devi: A SPICMACAY story





I didn't know much about Sitara Devi, the famous Kathak exponent. I saw her the first time in a SPICMACAY lecture demonstration at one of the colleges of University of Delhi. She was quite old but was charm personified even with that aged face and body of hers. This is something special that these artists carried within themselves which can't be defined. It is something to do with their personalities. 

I tried to keep a studied distance from SPIC MACAY but invariably got caught in the happenings of the organization. I think one such event (and I am so glad it happened) was when I think because I went to a SPIC MACAY meeting on insistence of Shalini( which I must have done very grudgingly), I ended up in a car with Dr Kiran Seth and Shalini and was told that we are going to meet a great artist.

Now, where we were going was in the opposite direction from where I lived. We were going towards Asiad Village accommodations close to Siri Fort. Kiran carried some expensive liquor, Sitara Devi did like her drink. From Kiran's side this was a gift to her for all her support. Every time I saw her on stage for SPIC MACAY, she would say- I am doing this for Kiran Seth. She was extremely fond of Kiran.( I gather)

The occasion was her birthday. So, we enter the house. Sitara Devi greets us. As I said earlier, there was some magic in the personality. The way she carried herself, her smile, her eyes, the way she talked- it wasn't someone who held herself back. And why would Sitara Devi hold herself back? I later heard stories about the kind of things she had to go through to become an artist and a kathak dancer.






So, this was the mehfil then, this was vintage stuff, she  joked and laughed and talked …and the interaction went on for some time. There was another artist - I think a tabla player whose son was learning some instrument- sitar? The older gentleman wanted his son to be blessed by Sitara Devi and the young man was heard…it was a full performance…like a baithak…the young artist sat in front on mattresses and durrees and we all sat facing him on sofas and chairs in a small room…the nervous young artist played in front of an encouraging stalwart who constantly maintained a benign smile on her face...in between when he would do something nice…there would be 'wash waahi' from Sitara Devi. She was abundant in her appreciation. The young boy was happy. 

After the fellow had finished, Sitara Devi talked to the young boy for some time, appreciating his hard work and goading him to keep working hard. She was a story teller , after all a 'kathak' dancer. She would say something about her own life and draw an example for the young talent. 

After this she started talking about her life. She talked about a tabla player with whom she really enjoyed dancing. In her opinion this tabla player was superior to ustaad Zakir Hussain, whom she said was very good too but not quite there yet to compete with this person's competence. I forget the name but obviously the tabla player must have come much before Ustaad Zakir Hussain. I was blessed to have spent some time there in Sitara Devi's presence…witnessing an impromptu baithak…grooming of a younger artist. 

Maybe I should thank Dr Kiran Seth for this...


No comments:

Post a Comment